Sunday, March 17, 2013

WAR Party - Preventing Human Trafficking and Providing Women a Way Out

March 16, 2013

WAR Party


The day has finally arrived and I'm so excited I can hardly sleep!  I've invited everyone I know and prepared everything I can think of to have a successful WAR party.  My husband is ready to help me too...he's even gone to get the snacks for those who show up! We've partnered with Women At Risk International http://warinternational.org/ to fight modern day slavery by hosting a jewelry party.  This jewelry isn't just any jewelry though.  It's made and sold by women who are at risk of being trafficked as well as those who have been rescued from trafficking.  Making and selling jewelry provides them with a way to support themselves and their families thus keeping them from the clutches of those who seek to exploit and enslave them.    This is such an amazing opportunity to make a difference in the lives of women and their children...and all the generations that follow as well as the lives of people they interact with along the way.  The smallest involvement is still one step toward ending today's slavery. 



So many people find it easier to pretend it's not happening today and yet, according to Interpol, there are more slaves today than ever in the course of history.  Modern day slavery is real and everywhere...even in your state no matter which state you live in! 
Opening the boxes of jewelry and setting them out on display was really awe-inspiring.  The jewelry, scarves, purses, perfume bottles, children's things, and decorations were exquisite and worth much more than they were priced.  I was stunned to find such an array of items from pearls and gems to gold, silver, and fabric jewelry.  Each piece was obviously meticulously crafted to perfection.  Selling this jewelry would be a piece of cake!

March 17. 2013

We've decided to make it two days due to the level of interest!

Well, I'm happy to say that today was a huge success!  Several people stopped by and bought jewelry, donated, or both.  My husband even set up a table at the local supermarket to hand out information and sell some jewelry, which he coordinated and set up himself as I was unable to attend due to previous commitments.  I met new people and saw those I knew well - it was a fun and friendly affair with a great purpose.

Want to host your own party?  Give them a call!  Party with a Purpose!!





See the post called "Joining the Fight to Stop Human Trafficking" to read about my personal experiences with human trafficking and how I first got involved in the fight against human trafficking.


No comments:

Post a Comment