Saturday, June 29, 2013

"In Her Own Words"

June 29, 2013

It was a big day for me as an advocate for TBI and PTSD survivors.  I got invited to speak to Stanford and Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Staff about the effects of traumatic brain injuries and post traumatic stress disorder on U.S. military veterans.  I was incredibly honored and humbled to be a part of such a huge endeavor and ground-breaking work


The Invitation that was sent out for the day I spoke at the Department of Veterans Affairs
 
There really are no words for some things and they remain difficult to share for many reasons, but I'm finding that the hope I see light up fellow veteran's eyes in finding out that a new way of life is possible makes it worth the struggle.





Dr. Carmelinda Mann, fellow Army veteran - Sharron Young, Me (Rachel Chapin Martinez), Dr. Odette Harris, and Dr. Joyce Chung (from left to right)


After surviving multiple traumatic brain injuries and a brain tumor, I know what it feels like to walk through the dark alone wondering if there was hope for a life that mattered.  That feeling of despair and then the hope I gained after sharing with others gave me a burning desire to make sure that no other veteran ever feels that way.  I pray that I can continue to share hope with the nation as well as the world. 
 
 
I'm so grateful to all involved in this project for giving me the opportunity to share my story and as a result, finding healing I never could have imagined!

It was at this event that Dr. Carmelinda Mann let us know that our videos are now officially part of the National Smithsonian archives.   We also found out that the Pentagon and the Department of Labor has seen our videos and shed tears.  Wow...I have no words for such an honor and I feel so incredibly humbled by this amazing opportunity to make a difference in people's lives! 

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152396307368158&set=vb.248662598157&type=2&theater 

No comments:

Post a Comment