Thursday, April 18, 2013

More Than Just A Pageant

April 18, 2013


 
Arriving at the pageant, I wasn't sure what to expect, but found so much more than I could have hoped for at the Mrs. California United States Pageant April 11-13, 2013.  I met some of the most amazing women I have ever met.  Those I got to know were selfless servants who cared about way more than themselves.  They were fun and down-to-earth.  I had never experienced so many beautiful women in one place being sweeter.  


Mrs. Monterey Bay ~ The beginning of weekend filled with fun & adventure!
(Photographer - Todd Sipes)




Arriving At Mrs. California US
(Photographer - Joe Pier)
I wish there were words to describe how absolutely amazing this experience was.  What impressed me the most was how happy for me they all were when I won the People's Choice Award for Mrs. California United States...
their congratulations were sincere and sweet!  These women were helpful, encouraging, courageous, and strong...truly unforgettable. 

Pajama Party and Gift Exchange Thursday Evenging
(Photographer - Joe Pier)

Award Banquet Friday Night Before the Show
(Photographer - Joe Pier)

Nor Cal Girls Snapping a Pic Before the Show Begins
  
 In reality, I shouldn't have even been able to enter this type of pageant and suddenly became overwhelmed by the gratefulness I felt at being able to participate in something so amazing.  You see, my face had been crushed in 2008 to the point that on the flight to another state with medical assistance, everyone openly stared  at me.  I knew I looked deformed.  My brain and body were too injured for me to be concerned yet about my face, my eye that was bleeding, or my jaw that I couldn't chew with.  However, when it came time to have emergency facial reconstruction surgery and I had to sign on the dotted line that I was psychologically sound enough to be deformed for the rest of my life, the reality settled in.  For me walking across that stage was a much bigger event that just entering a pageant...it meant that I had been the grateful subject of a miracle.




On Stage with Mrs. California 2012
(Photographer - Joe Pier)


Mr. and Mrs. Monterey Bay
(Photographer - Joe Pier)
  I walked away from this amazing event with my heart soaring.  You would have really thought I had won the crown because I could not stop smiling and glowing!  I just didn't want it all to end.  After the commotion died down and everyone went their ways, I felt like Cinderella at midnight after the ball...it had been magical and now we were all headed back to life as usual...other than the fact that, for me, life is never usual.  I had spent three days savoring every moment.

Roses from my beloved husband and a picture with some of my amazing new friends.
(Photographer - Todd Sipes)
 
 Thank you.  Thank you had been tattooed on my heart since the day I was so graciously reconstructed to, not only to look normal, but to look like I used to...

Thank you, Dr. Burt Fabisoff, for spending time at the hospital with me for hours working on my face!  There are just no words to describe the impact you've made on my life, my livelihood, and, as a result, the lives of others.  I will always be indebted to you and will never forget your compassion. 
In at least a hundred ways...you are my hero!


Posted to Facebook...

While I didn't take the crown this weekend at Mrs. California United States, I met so many very amazing people and had the time of my life doing so! I also felt incredibly honored that the state of California and many of you across the nation voted for me to be the

People's Choice for Mrs. California United States.

I am very happy to be the queen of people's hearts and so excited to give my charity of choice, BrainSong - The Micah Jones Foundation, the funds that were raised through the voting!
You're vote is now helping women with traumatic brain injuries learn to live "life with new lyrics".

From the bottom of my heart, Thank you!!

~ Rachel Martinez, Mrs. Monterey Bay United States


 

No comments:

Post a Comment